Are you a teacher or parent needing a simple plan to keep kids learning math at home for the time being? This easy to follow plan is perfect for your 2nd grade students (or you could use this with 3rd graders who need more support for number sense and mental math strategies).
Although this plan provides daily math for 2 weeks, you can also very easily adapt it to provide math at home activities, games and practice for 4 weeks.
2nd Grade Math at Home Overview:
This plan includes everything parents need for 2-4 weeks of daily math, including:
- A daily number sense activity (includes 1 for week one and 1 for week 2)
- Daily math skills practice (10 problems per day, or 5 problems per day to spread this out over 4 weeks)
- Daily low-prep game (this includes super simple card games, dice games or print and play games to make it easy on parents who don’t have math manipulatives on hand)
There are detailed instructions for parents to help them provide structure and practice for their kids, as well as links to teaching videos and additional resources if they find their child struggling with particular concepts.
Lastly, you will find answer keys for the entire set of daily math skills practice pages.
Whether you need to print these out to send home or parents need to print them themselves, I’ve made it easy for you with single pages, and everything in black and white.
Also note that none of the student pages state an age or grade level, so if you have older kids who need to review these skills, they won’t be put off by seeing “2nd grade” on their practice pages and games.
Although the daily practice pages are worksheets, the problems were chosen to provide meaningful skills practice by including:
- A focus on place value understanding with visuals
- A focus on building number sense with 2 and 3-digit numbers
- Problems that increase in difficulty gradually building on what students have already done
- Daily word problem practice with space to draw a picture or other visual to help them solve
Math Skills Covered:
- Week one covers place value, comparing numbers, number sense and ‘make 100’ challenges and adding and subtracting with 2 and 3-digit numbers (this could be spread out over 2 weeks)
- Week two covers skip counting and equal groups to lay a foundation for multiplication, telling time to the nearest 5 minutes and money math. There is also additional practice with adding/subtracting 2 and 3-digit numbers (this could also be spread out over 2 weeks)
- Every page of skills practice includes a word problem with space to draw a picture, diagram or visual and space to solve
*Please Note: While you are certainly welcome to share the student pages with your parents, you may NOT share the file with other teachers. They must purchase their own set to use with their students. Thank you for your honesty.